P530971

Uploaded on:
11/03/2009 03:06:12
Type:
Digital Asset
File Size:
254.06 KB
Dimensions:
1000 x 656 pixels
2086 views 4 downloads
P number: P530971
Caption: Buildings in St. Andrew Square, Edinburgh, Lothian Region
Description: The image shows two of the earliest town-houses of the Edinburgh New Town, one of which has been restored with a traditional harling and coloured lime wash. Originally many of the early stone buildings in the New Town were harled with a lime mortar render because they were constructed as stone rubble walls. Traditionally throughout Scotland vernacular stone buildings were always harled in order to protect the masonry from the wind and weather, and probably also to act as a draught-proofing outer skin. In Victorian times the rough stone appearance of buildings was considered fashionable and many of the buildings were 'scraped' to reveal their stone rubble construction. It is only in recent times that some important historical buildings have had their traditional lime harling re-instated, for example the restored Great Hall at Stirling Castle.
Date taken: 25/06/1905
Photographer: Unknown
Copyright statement: Unknown
Orientation: Landscape
Size: 254.06 KB; 1000 x 656 pixels; 85 x 56 mm (print at 300 DPI); 265 x 174 mm (screen at 96 DPI);
Average Rating: Not yet rated
Categories: Best of BGS Images/ Stone and the built heritage (Building Britain)  

Reviews

There is currently no feedback