• 10  of  94
Uploaded on:
11/03/2009 02:55:00
Type:
Digital Asset
File Size:
245.80 KB
Dimensions:
670 x 1001 pixels
188 views 4 downloads
P number: P530931
Caption: Entrance to St. Mary's Cathedral, Palmerston Place, Edinburgh, Lothian Region.
Description: The image shows the main entrance to St. Mary's Cathedral in Palmerstone Place with a large and highly ornate arched entranceway composed of intricately carved sandstone with a series of pillars of polished granite from Shap Fell in Cumbria. St. Mary's Cathedral in Palmerston Place was built between 1874 and 1917. It contains stone from Cullalo Quarry in Fife, which became an important supplier of high quality sandstone to Edinburgh as the demand for stone increased throughout the 19th century. By this time many of the original local quarries in the Edinburgh area were becoming exhausted or the quality of stone was reduced. In recent years St. Mary's Cathedral has been undergoing an extensive programme of restoration, including replacement of a considerable amount of the sandstone masonry, and the roofing slates.
Date taken: 25/06/1905
Photographer: Unknown
Copyright statement: Unknown
Orientation: Portrait
Size: 245.80 KB; 670 x 1001 pixels; 57 x 85 mm (print at 300 DPI); 177 x 265 mm (screen at 96 DPI);
Average Rating: Not yet rated
Categories: Unsorted Images  

Reviews

There is currently no feedback