• 1  of  99
Uploaded on:
14/02/2009 04:16:18
Type:
Digital Asset
File Size:
220.90 KB
Dimensions:
1000 x 756 pixels
3862 views 4 downloads
P number: P002732
Old photograph number: D01261
Caption: Dryburgh Abbey, about 1 km. east of Newtown St. Boswells, Borders.
Description: Dryburgh Abbey, about 1 km. east of Newtown St. Boswells, Borders. The abbey is built of local pink sandstones of the 'Upper Old Red Sandstone' which are late Devonian to early Carboniferous in age. It is a relatively easily worked stone and weathers to a very pleasing appearance. The abbey is built on a 'holm' or flat river terrace formed on the inside loop of a large meander on the north bank of the River Tweed. Dryburgh Abbey was established in 1140 by the Premonstratensian Order, based at Alnwick in the north of England.
Date taken: 01/01/1970
Photographer: Christie, A.
Copyright statement: NERC
Acknowledgment: This image was digitized with grant-in-aid from SCRAN the Scottish Cultural Resources Access Network
X longitude/easting: 359100
Y latitude/northing: 631700
Coordinate reference system, ESPG code: 27700 (OSGB 1936 / British National Grid)
Orientation: Landscape
Size: 220.90 KB; 1000 x 756 pixels; 85 x 64 mm (print at 300 DPI); 265 x 200 mm (screen at 96 DPI);
Average Rating: Not yet rated
Categories: Best of BGS Images/ Images from the archives, Geoscience subjects/ Economic geology/ Building stones  

Reviews

There is currently no feedback