• 59 of 180

P220261

Uploaded on:
21/02/2009 01:17:12
Type:
Digital Asset
File Size:
483.03 KB
Dimensions:
1000 x 784 pixels
2369 views 4 downloads
P number: P220261
Old photograph number: D04086
Caption: Pit houses, Bedlington, Northumberland.
Description: North Terrace and Doctor Terrace, Bedlington. Pit houses for workmen of Doctor Pit (formerly situated at the far end of terrace). Doctor Pit was sunk on 14th July 1854 and ceased production on 31st March 1967. The shafts were filled (John and Doctor) in October 1972. Doctor Terrace (right/south) was built in 1874 and comprises two 25 block terraces with parlour and three bedrooms but without privvies, ashpits or drainage or even ceilings. Piped water arrived in 1883. North Terrace (left/north) was built in 1904-1906 and was similar to Doctor Terrace in construction. These terraces were being demolished as the photograph was taken. Coal mining in Northumberland has a long history of both deep mining and opencast. Many towns in the north-east coalfield owed their existence to coal. Pit houses such as these were built because the pits were often geographically isolated.
Date taken: 01/09/1988
Photographer: Bain, T.S.
Copyright statement: NERC
X longitude/easting: 425700
Y latitude/northing: 582300
Coordinate reference system, ESPG code: 27700 (OSGB 1936 / British National Grid)
Orientation: Landscape
Size: 483.03 KB; 1000 x 784 pixels; 85 x 66 mm (print at 300 DPI); 265 x 207 mm (screen at 96 DPI);
Average Rating: Not yet rated
Categories: Best of BGS Images/ Industrial geology  

Reviews

There is currently no feedback