• 40  of  99
Uploaded on:
19/02/2009 06:31:47
Type:
Digital Asset
File Size:
271.85 KB
Dimensions:
1000 x 667 pixels
3074 views 4 downloads
P number: P212347
Old photograph number: A13251
Caption: Holy Trinity Church, Long Melford, Suffolk.
Description: The ornate church at Long Melford, constructed in the perpendicular style, dates from the 15th century. It is one of the great Suffolk 'wool churches' built by one family with the proceeds from the local wool trade. It is constructed of imported Lincolnshire oolitic limestone and local knapped flints. The ornately decorated parish church of Long Melford indicates the past importance of this district. Dressed stone from outside of the district, Lincolnshire oolitic limestone, has been used for the quoins and construction of the delicate tracery shown well in the east face. Squared flints, the only local building stone of the area infills the bulk of the walls and tower. Many of the great 15th century churches of East Anglia were constructed by the families involved in the wool trade. Invariably locally 'quarried' knapped flints were used for the main walling material, with limestones from the Lincolnshire Limestone imported for all carved and decorative stonework.
Date taken: 01/01/1979
Photographer: Evans, H.J.
Copyright statement: NERC
X longitude/easting: 586260
Y latitude/northing: 245410
Coordinate reference system, ESPG code: 27700 (OSGB 1936 / British National Grid)
Orientation: Landscape
Size: 271.85 KB; 1000 x 667 pixels; 85 x 56 mm (print at 300 DPI); 265 x 176 mm (screen at 96 DPI);
Average Rating: Not yet rated
Categories: Best of BGS Images/ Stone and the built heritage (Building Britain), Geoscience subjects/ Economic geology/ Building stones  

Reviews

There is currently no feedback