• 26  of  99
Uploaded on:
19/02/2009 06:39:17
Type:
Digital Asset
File Size:
320.58 KB
Dimensions:
1000 x 807 pixels
1527 views 4 downloads
P number: P211038
Old photograph number: A11310
Caption: The Castle, Hastings, East Sussex.
Description: Hastings was the principal town of the Cinque Ports of the south-east. The castle sits on a sandstone outcrop in the Wadhurst Clay Formation. The castle was constructed in the 13th century using the local Lower Cretaceous Tilgate Stone. The castle was founded soon after 1066 on an eminence commanding the old part of Hastings. It was much altered and added to in its subsequent history. The remaining ruins show the use of local sandstone for much of the masonry, with some imported stone in the archway. A number of fine-grained sandstones occur within the Wadhurst Clay Formation in the Hastings district. One of these, the Tilgate Stone, was widely worked for building stone in the Winchelsea - Rye area.
Date taken: 01/01/1970
Photographer: Jeffery, C.J.
Copyright statement: NERC
X longitude/easting: 582000
Y latitude/northing: 109500
Coordinate reference system, ESPG code: 27700 (OSGB 1936 / British National Grid)
Orientation: Landscape
Size: 320.58 KB; 1000 x 807 pixels; 85 x 68 mm (print at 300 DPI); 265 x 214 mm (screen at 96 DPI);
Average Rating: Not yet rated
Categories: Unsorted Images, Geoscience subjects/ Economic geology/ Building stones  

Reviews

There is currently no feedback