• 113  of  66315
Uploaded on:
13/02/2009 05:56:26
Type:
Digital Asset
File Size:
186.76 KB
Dimensions:
1000 x 724 pixels
2426 views 5 downloads
P number: P000217
Old photograph number: C03972
Caption: Strontian Lead Mines. Argyllshire.
Description: Middleshop Mines in the middle distance, with Armstrong Vein running off obliquely to the right. Whitesmith Mines farther away, beyond Middleshop Mines. Summit of Beinn Resipol in far distance. Granite (tonalite) forms low ground to left (south) of workings. Moine schists form higher ground. The Strontian Mines were said to have been discovered by Sir Alexander Murray of Stanhope, the proprietor of the estate in 1772. He appears to have worked it himself for a few years, then they were let to the Duke of Norfolk & Company. View looking westwards along the main vein from near Bellsgrove Engine Shaft (1188.7 m. west 30 degrees south of 1426 Druim Glas). Amongst the gangue minerals, barytes, calcite and quartz was strontianite named after this locality by Dr. Hope of Glasgow in 1791.
Date taken: 01/01/1949
Photographer: Fisher, W.D.
Copyright statement: Crown
Acknowledgment: This image was digitized with grant-in-aid from SCRAN the Scottish Cultural Resources Access Network
X longitude/easting: 183500
Y latitude/northing: 765500
Coordinate reference system, ESPG code: 27700 (OSGB 1936 / British National Grid)
Orientation: Landscape
Size: 186.76 KB; 1000 x 724 pixels; 85 x 61 mm (print at 300 DPI); 265 x 192 mm (screen at 96 DPI);
Average Rating: Not yet rated
Categories: Unsorted Images  

Reviews

There is currently no feedback