P000061

Uploaded on:
13/02/2009 05:26:44
Type:
Digital Asset
File Size:
205.17 KB
Dimensions:
736 x 1000 pixels
5219 views 4 downloads
P number: P000061
Old photograph number: C02887
Caption: West Calder, 320 m. south-south-west of United Presbyterian Church and 25.8 km. south-west of Edinburgh. (Site of exploratory oil borehole 1919-1921.) Midlothian.
Description: West Calder, 320 m. south-south-west of United Presbyterian Church and 25.8 km. south-west of Edinburgh. (Site of exploratory oil borehole 1919-1921.) Midlothian. General view of rotary oil well drilling rig, showing whole height of derrick. Used by Messrs. S. Pearson and Son Ltd., at hole drilled for the Government at West Calder. The boring was commenced on 14th June 1919 and finished in October 1921. One of a series of eleven oil wells drilled in Great Britain for the Mineral Oil Production Department of the Ministry of Munitions. The method of drilling was the American cable system with percussive tools.
Date taken: 01/01/1921
Photographer: Tait, D.
Copyright statement: Crown
Acknowledgment: This image was digitized with grant-in-aid from SCRAN the Scottish Cultural Resources Access Network
X longitude/easting: 300500
Y latitude/northing: 662500
Coordinate reference system, ESPG code: 27700 (OSGB 1936 / British National Grid)
Orientation: Portrait
Size: 205.17 KB; 736 x 1000 pixels; 62 x 85 mm (print at 300 DPI); 195 x 265 mm (screen at 96 DPI);
Average Rating: Not yet rated
Categories: Best of BGS Images/ Images from the archives  

Reviews

There is currently no feedback